Tuesday, January 13, 2009

BS (Before Sailor)

In the beginning, or as I like to call it BS: Before Sailor, there was my husband Todd and I, our 14 year-old black Swedish Lapphund, Osa and Mia the tabby cat (approx 5 years-old). It was a quiet, peaceful existence until that day in mid December when we brought the little devil home.














Okay, so going back even before that. . .We talked about adding a new dog to our menagerie but we agreed since we live on a lake, that the dog must be a swimmer. Osa CAN swim (we threw her in the water to see (in a life jacket off the dock and I was waiting on shore-we're not cruel!), but she chooses not too! Sniff!
We picked out a few breeds we liked that fit our lifestyle (laid back lake living) and really liked the Newfoundlands for their sweet nature and ability to get along with both man and beast.

One Sunday morning while perusing the classifieds, I "happened" upon the dog pages and found someone that had a Newfie puppy. Never ones who wanted to get a dog from a breeder, we were more the rescue type, so I looked for rescued Newfies and couldn't find any in the area at the time. There are Newfie rescue groups, but in other states and I thought it would be tough to put a young or grown Newfie on a plane from South Carolina and have it be an immediate fit for him and us.

As you know, there is no "looking" at a puppy. . once you see it, gotta have it. So, Todd met the guy on a cold snowy day while in preparation for the new arrival, I ran to the pet store with a couple of co-workers looking for the biggest kennel I could find, some mats, toys and bones. So, we were ready. . . . not!

No comments: